Tag Archives: Scarppys Bitters
Here come the holidays! The intensity of it all is staggering, isn’t it? Now, I don’t know about you, but I’ve barely had time to take down and pack away the plastic pumpkins, bats and skeletons. I haven’t even thought to sit quietly and pen my Thanksgiving dinner shopping list, let alone figure out the logistics of my annual Christmas party. I have to keep reminding myself that it isn’t worth getting upset over. Most of us test the limits of our sanity, we know it’s coming. In full force. Getting caught in the vortex of holiday madness; it’s all part of the fun, when you stop and think about it. DON’T STOP AND THINK ABOUT IT. Until February.
Once you’ve carefully crafted your shopping/gifting/baking/decorating/caroling strategies – and exhale – all that’s left to do is celebrate! This part of the planning process is always the most fun for me. Fervently pacing the aisles of my local grocery store; on the lookout for unique, affordable, mouthwatering munchies. Delectable hors d’ Oeuvre combinations which surrender my guest’s palates to limitless zesty, aromatic and savory sensations. And this includes cocktails. The artisan crafted-cocktail and beer movement has become so advanced, if I even made an attempt to try and conceive a craft-cocktail bar, it would stretch across the living room. That said, making every guest happy around the bar can break the bank. So, while my holiday party, food-wise becomes much more memorable when it embodies a timeless cornucopia of unquestionably delicious delights; getting the drinks proportional to each person’s preference can be challenging. Until now.
There will be wine of course, and some seasonal beer choice. But, leave the Eggnog where it belongs, in the dairy case. Hide the Schnapps. There is a simpler way to get your guests to imbibe and be spirit-compliant: serve punch. Not your grandmother’s punch either; with the floating orange sherbet iceberg. This year, wow every guest with a punch that blends together flavors which are at once silky and creamy, yet evoke all of the amazing perennial flavors which grace our senses during this magical time of the season. Create the masterpiece which is Saturn Punch! The brilliance of this cocktail is its presentation functionality. It can be made as a traditional self-serve punchbowl potion, or shaken individually and served as a frothy cocktail.
- 2 oz Aviation American Gin
- Fresh Squeezed Orange Juice (I use Simply Orange brand)
- Crushed Ice (for shaking individually and to fill cocktail glasses)
- Scrappys brand Orange Bitters
- BG Reynolds Syrups
- 2 tsp. Passionfruit
- 1 tsp. Oregat (Almond and cane sugar)
- 2 tsp. Falernum (ginger, clove, almond, fresh lime)
- Shake until frothy with crushed ice
- Pour into a highball glass
- Top with 3 drops Scrappy’s Orange Bitters
- Garnish with fresh orange or pear slices
Mixing instructions for punch (quantities contingent upon guest count):
- 1 750ml bottle Aviation American Gin
- 1 1.75L bottle Simply Orange Juice
- 1 bottle BG Reynolds Passionfruit syrup
- 1 bottle BG Reynolds Falernum syrup
- ½ bottle BG Reynolds Oregat syrup
- 1 bottle Scrappy’s Orange Bitters near the punch bowl for guests to discover
- Additional serving suggestions:
- A small framed sign next to the bitters will enhance your guests’ experience
- Add your favorite sparkling Cava or Prosecco and take Saturn Punch to a whole new level!
-Kelly Gajer + Brandon Waddell + Courtney Lindstrom, Aviation Team Members